Ippodo has been producing tea and matcha in Kyoto since 1717 and is one of the most respected tea makers in Japan. They have teahouses across Japan as well as in New York. They not only sell top quality tea, but are also very active in communicating great stories and flavours of tea and tea culture around the world.
Made from roasted green tea leaves, hojicha has a rich, toasted aroma, without any bitterness. The roasting process removes a lot of the caffeine, making hojicha an ideal tea for those wanting to reduce their caffeine intake. Enjoy it either hot or chilled, morning or night. Up to three pots of tea can be made with the same leaves, with each pot bringing out a slightly different flavour.
How to Make Perfect Hojicha:
- Put 4 tablespoons (about 10g) of tea leaves into your favourite tea pot.
- Pour 240ml (8oz) of freshly boiled water over the leaves.
- Allow the hojicha leaves to steep for around 30 seconds (this can be adjusted to your tastes). Don’t swirl or stir the tea whilst brewing.
- Pour every drop of tea into your favourite tea cups.
- Relax and enjoy your tea.
You can repeat the process for another two pots if you wish!